I don't believe that feminism cares about harming men. I believe that feminism cares only about maximizing women's well-being, and that it does not regard the effect of its actions on men or on gender (in)equality. To feminism, harming men is sometimes just a means to an end. This entry lists some of the ways feminism harms men.
Feminism campaigns against equal parenting.
- The National Organization of Women (NOW) actively opposes equal parenting. (Source: National Parents Organization)
Feminism advocates for the prohibition of paternity testing.
- Feminism has eventuated a law in France that prohibits men from testing the paternity of their children. A judge may sentence any man who contravenes the law to one year in prison and fine him €15,000
- Feminism has eventuated similar laws throughout Europe (Source: Wikipedia)
- Feminism advocates for such laws in the UK (Source: The Spectator)
- Feminism challenged Michigan's paternity testing laws. (Source: Michigan law archives)
- Notable feminist Melanie McDonagh wrote a widely published article that opposed paternity testing:
DNA tests are an anti-feminist appliance of science, a change in the balance of power between the sexes that we’ve hardly come to terms with. And that holds true even though many women have the economic potential to provide for their children themselves…Uncertainty allows mothers to select for their children the father who would be best for them. The point is that paternity was ambiguous and it was effectively up to the mother to name her child’s father, or not… Many men have, of course, ended up raising children who were not genetically their own, but really, does it matter…in making paternity conditional on a test rather than the say-so of the mother, it has removed from women a powerful instrument of choice.
Feminism has successfully, and violently, interrupted every MHRM event on Canadian campuses.
Feminism has successfully campaigned against the development of male contraceptives.
- As evinced by this video.
Feminism has ensured that no woman legally rapes a man when she forcibly envelopes him.
- Feminism ensured that the definition of rape excluded forced envelopment. (Source: justice.gov; Mary Koss)
- Feminism is Israel successfully prevented the promulgation of a bill that would illegalize forced envelopment. (Source: Jerusalem Post)
Feminism shamed men into fighting in World War I.
- Feminism organized the White Feather Campaign in order to shame young men into military service. (Source: Wikipedia)
Feminism skewed the 2008 economic stimulus package to benefit more women than men
- The National Organization for Women, the Feminist Majority, the Institute for Women's Policy Research, and the Women's Law Center successfully skewed the 2008 economic stimulus package to benefit women disproportionately. (Source: The Weekly Standard)
Feminism advocates violence against men.
- The SCUM manifesto written by prominent feminist Valarie Solanas, who shot Andy Worhol, promotes violence against men. (The acronym stands for 'Society for Cutting Up Men'). The video below depicts feminism in Sweden celebrating the murder of men in order to honour Valarie Solanas.
- Popular feminist magazine, Jezebel, has gloated about, and advocated for, the battery of male intimate partners. (Source: Jezebel)
- Feminism uses the hashtag #killallmen to promote violence against men.
- Prominent feminists have glorified violence against men.
I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig. — Andrea Dworkin
The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race.— Sally Miller Gearhart
The more famous and powerful I get the more power I have to hurt men. — Sharon Stone
Feminism advocates for the abolition of Father's Day.
Feminism advocates for the institution of concentration camps for men.
- When the Swedish feminist party, F!, attained support of 25% of the electorate, its members suspected that the support for party indicated that Swedes would accept their more radical proposals. Among those, was the proposal to intern all men in concentration camps, presumably for a defined period. (Source: The Guardian)
Feminism advocates for the curtailment of men's freedoms.
- Feminism uses the term 'stare rape' to advocate prohibiting men from looking at women.
- Feminism also uses the term 'male gaze' to denigrate the act of looking at a woman. Feminism operates the magazine 'The Good Men Project' in order to encourage men to behave as feminism wants them to behave (see picture below). One of the 'Editor's Picks from the articles published by The Good Men Project is an article titled 'Dealing With My Own Male Gaze'.
- Feminism wants to dictate how men sit in public.
(From The New York Times)
- Feminism wants to dictate how men pee.
(Why doesn't she remember to put the seat up?)
- Feminism wants to dictate how men express their romantic feelings.
Feminism encourages women to relish, or ignore, male suffering.
- Feminism often uses the "male tears" trope to trivialize male suffering.
- Feminism uses the phrase "what about teh menz?" to mock people concerned about male suffering.
- Feminism sustains a culture of misandry within itself.
(Feminist mocks man who committed suicide)
I feel that man-hating is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them. — Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine, editor.
Feminism successfully advocated for implementation of the draft in England.
- Feminism successfully advocated for implementation of the draft in England (Source: Wikipedia)
Feminism opposes shelters for battered men.
- Feminism harassed, assaulted, slandered, and otherwise campaigned against Earl Silverman, founder of the first shelter for abused men in Canada, until his organization fell bankrupt and he took his life. (Source: Womenspost.ca)
- Feminism in the UK oppose the creation of refuge spaces for battered men. (Source: The Guardian)
Feminism advocates for considering women's rights before men's, and human, rights.
- The image below depicts three members of the Montreal cell of the popular feminist group 'Femen' advocating for the priority of women's rights.
Feminism uses violence to suppress the truth about male victims of female domestic violence.
- This widely cited paper lists the methods used by academic feminism to control the literature. (Source: The Journal of Criminal Policy )
- Method 1. Suppress Evidence
- Method 2. Avoid Obtaining Data Inconsistent with the Patriarchal Dominance Theory
- Method 3. Cite Only Studies That Show Male Perpetration
- Method 4. Conclude That Results Support Feminist Beliefs When They Do Not
- Method 5. Create "Evidence" by Citation
- Method 6. Obstruct Publication of Articles and Obstruct Funding of Research That Might Contradict the Idea that Male Dominance Is the Cause of PV
- Method 7. Harass, Threaten, and Penalize Researchers Who Produce Evidence That Contradicts Feminist Beliefs.
- Feminism interrupts a forum for abused men.
- The Florida State Law Journal published over 200 pages of extensive documentation the history of feminism's suppression of the abuse of male partners by females. (Source FSU Journal of Law)
Perhaps the most physically and personally intimidating behavior was directed at Suzanne Steinmetz, who had first brought the issue to the public’s attention.43 Steinmetz appeared on such shows as the Today Show and Phil Donahue. 44 Her work was reported in various newspapers and magazines, including a full-page story in Time magazine.45 Yet, while Steinmetz’s work received some support, the public attack, the public attack against Steinmetz and her family evidenced the public's overwhelming rejection of her work. Verbal threats were launched against her and her children - at home and in public. Threatening phone calls were made to Steinmetz and the sponsors of her speaking engagements in order to prevent Steinmetz from further publicizing her work. On one occasion, a bomb threat was called into an ACLU meeting at which Steinmetz was scheduled to speak. Professionally, Steinmetz was also threatened. In an attempt to prevent her from receiving tenure, every female faculty member at the University of Delaware was lobbied by individuals calling on behalf of the women's rights movement... Other social scientists committed to the study of husband abuse and family violence were similarly mistreated.Such tactics seem to have proven effective. Both researchers who were involved in the early projects and even those who might have become involved admit that they now choose to give the topic of battered men "wide berth".
- Feminism sent Erin Pizzey, founder of the first shelter for battered women, death threats in response to her advocacy for abused men. Consequently, Pizzey fled England.
Feminism advocates for the automatic arrest of men who call police about domestic violence.
- Patriarchal dominance theory claims, incorrectly, that only men commit non-defensive domestic violence. That theory informs feminist anti-violence programs, such as the Duluth Model, the model used most commonly by police forces to educate their officers. (Source: theduluthmodel.org) The image below illustrates the Duluthian conception of domestic "power and control". Note that the creators used only the feminine personal pronoun to refer to the victim.
- Feminism has also advocated for laws that mandate the arrest of the "primary aggressor" in situations involving domestic violence, be it mutual or unilateral violence. Such laws have been implemented in approximately half (23) of the American states. (Source: nij.gov)
- The preponderant use of the Duluth Model for training police, and the mandatory arrest laws effected by feminists, jointly engender a state of affairs in which police forces require, and train, officers to always arrest only the man when they respond to calls about domestic violence.
- Further consider that feminism promotes the conflation of 'primary aggressor' with 'man, as evidenced by this passage from the Australian Law Review Commission's consideration of opinions on the matter from community organizations. (Source: alrc.gov.au)
The Inner City Legal Centre and The Safe Relationships Project submitted that it may be even more difficult to identify the 'primary aggressor' where there is violence between same-sex couples.
- The aforecited FSU Law article also attests to this effect of feminism's influence.
When it comes to arrest, female domestic violence perpetrators are simply not considered. As one of the arrest replication experiments candidly noted, female offenders were not included in the study because they were not considered to pose any danger. Their exclusion from the study clearly implied that arrest could be used in a more discretionary manner when it came to females offenders than it could be in the case of male offenders... The experiment's authors concluded "arrest remains a more conscionable choice than non arrest"... evidence indicates that police ignore violence perpetrated by women and that such inaction is judicially endorsed.
Feminism advocates for judges to punish leniently women who harm men.
- Feminism advises judges to sentence women more leniently than they sentence men. (Source: The Telegraph)
- Feminism convinces Brooklyn DA to request home-sentences for female offenders. (Source: New York Daily News)
- Feminism advocates to close all women's prisons in England. (Source: BBC)
- Feminism advocates for special, favourable, treatment of female violent offenders.
Feminism advocates for the abolition of the presumption of men's, but not women's innocence.
- We have already evidenced the fact that feminism has eventuated police training methods that teach police not to arrest women, that feminism has eventuated more lenient sentencing for female offenders, and that feminism has eventuated the legalization of female-on-male rape, in some jurisdictions, in other jurisdictions feminism has ensured that the definition of rape excludes female perpetrators. Accordingly, when feminism uses gender-neutral terms to discuss the judicial treatment of perpetrators of sex-crimes, feminism refers only to male perpetrators.
- Prominent feminist writer, Jessica Valenti, wrote an article for the Washington Post advocating for such a change. Note that she uses the masculine pronoun to refer to the accused and the feminine pronoun to refer to the victim.
We should look to Sweden, where some activists want to change the law there so that the burden of proof is on the accused; the alleged rapist would have to show that he got consent, instead of the victim having to prove that she didn’t give it.
- Feminism has argued that false accusations benefit the accused. Below, I've quoted Catherine Commins, assistant dean at Vassar College in New York.
Men who are unjustly accused of rape can sometimes gain from the experience. They have a lot of pain, but it is not a pain that I would necessarily have spared them. I think it ideally initiates a process of self-exploration. 'How do I see women?' 'If I didn't violate her, could I have?' 'Do I have the potential to do to her what they say I did?' Those are good questions.
- Below, I've quoted from an article in the Wall Street Journal written by Judith Grossman, a feminist, lawyer, and mother of a young-man falsely accused of rape.
I am a feminist. I have marched at the barricades, subscribed to Ms. magazine, and knocked on many a door in support of progressive candidates committed to women's rights. Until a month ago, I would have expressed unqualified support for Title IX and for the Violence Against Women Act... I fear that in the current climate the goal of "women's rights," with the compliance of politically motivated government policy and the tacit complicity of college administrators, runs the risk of grounding our most cherished institutions in a veritable snake pit of injustice—not unlike the very injustices the movement itself has for so long sought to correct. Unbridled feminist orthodoxy is no more the answer than are attitudes and policies that victimize the victim
Feminism demonizes men.
- Feminism's demonization of men has succeeded so fantastically that many don't apprehend how favourably they receive such messages. Often, only parody exposes the double standard. Below, I've inset images from three of feminism's popular campaigns; following those images, I've inset a parody of them.
- Anita Sarkeesian, the most read internet feminist journalist, slanders men with articles that I believe, and hope, that nobody would tolerate about any other group. Below, I've inset screen caps of my parodies of those tweets.
- Feminism's literature seems replete with messages that demonize men.
All men keep all women in a state of fear. — Susan Brown Miller
Probably the only place where a man can feel truly secure is in a maximum security prison. — Germaine Greer
Whatever they may be in public life, whatever their relations with men, in their relations with women, all men are rapists, and that's all they are. — Marilyn French
To conclude, if you identify as neutral or feminist on gender issues, please ask yourself whether feminism is a movement that you want to identify with. You can support gender equality without supporting feminist hatred. Egalitarianism does exactly that.